Saturday, November 9, 2013

#3 Daniel's Surly Cross Check

Daniel's Cross Check takes him to beautiful places in New England.
Here's what Daniel has to say about his Cross Check (a long time Bikes for the Rest of Us favorite):


First, the long story is here, a response to Lovely Bike's nine
questions to consider when buying a bike:

http://newenglandbicyclist.blogspot.com/2012/05/lovelybike.html

LB tweeted the response so it is my second most popular post (which doesn't mean I'm at all a popular blogger).  But to summarize:

1) Why did I chose the model?

I was looking for a multipurpose bicycle, something that I could
commute on, pull a trailer with my children, carry a child on a rack mounted child seat, ride on dirt roads, and maybe tour one day.


I looked at complete bikes but I didn't want a touring bike and the complete Surly Cross Check needed fixing so I looked at frames including the Soma Double Cross, the Gunnar Cross Hairs, and the Surly CC.  

My dealer had issues with a Soma, which gave me pause (I'd strongly consider a Soma today, including the mixte and the Grant Peterson designed model), and the Surly CC.  I ended up going with the latter, with Shimano 105 components including a racing triple, hand built wheels, fenders, and racks, front and rear.  I later added a new front wheel with a dynamo hub and lights, which are great to have.

2) How do I use this bike?

Just like I thought I might.  I commute 14 miles round trip 50 or more days a year (it's often hard with two day care or kindergarten dropoffs and pick ups to find the time and space for commuting by bike) and it serves me well. I also carry the kids as expected and they sometimes love it or at least love the destinations.  


And it has been a dirt road and even trail bike.  I did the 2009 D2R2 100K and the 2013 D2R2 Green River Ride as well as the Ride Studio Cafe Diverged Ride this spring.  I did a fall ride this year that let me know how dirty a bike can get off road.  

I have used it for very early morning and night rides this year - I don't yet have lights mounted on my road bike.  I still love it and think it was a great choice.

Thanks,
Daniel

No comments: