Monday, December 3, 2012

Nashbar Steel Commuter Bike

Courtesy Nashbar.
The Nashbar Steel Commuter Bike is on liquidation sale at Nashbar and Amazon.com for $350.

I love the name of this bike because it matches the beautiful simplicity of the bike itself.   It's a clean, logo-free, all-chromoly bike with wide tires and an 8-speed Shimano nexus internal hub. It comes with a rear rack and fenders, although I would swap out the fenders for some that provide full coverage. 

Specs:


FRAME:
Chromoly, lugged
FORK:
Chromoly, 1" steerer, 14mm taper, 60mm offset
HEADSET:
1" threaded
REAR SHOCK:
N/A
CRANKSET:
38T chainring, 170mm length
BOTTOM BRACKET:
Square taper
SHIFTERS:
Nexus Revo SL-8S20
LEVERS:
Tektro RX1.0
HANDLEBAR:
525mm, 38° backsweep, 64mm rise, 25.4mm clamp
STEM:
22.2mm quill, 80mm extension, Length: 150mm (52cm frame), 180mm (56/60mm frame)
FRONT DERAILLEUR:
N/A
REAR DERAILLEUR:
N/A
CASSETTE:
Shimano KSMGEAR16S 16T
BRAKES:
Tektro R559 Dual Pivot
WHEELSET:
36H, 700c 36h anodized silver rims with CNC-machined sidewalls, Alloy front hub, 8-Speed Nexus internally geared rear hub
TIRES:
Kenda K-193 700x38
PEDALS:
Alloy
SEATPOST:
250x26.6mm (Medium), 250x27.2mm (Large)
SADDLE:
Velo
CHAIN:
KMC Z-410RB
GRIPS/TAPE:
Velo

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The 56 is sold out, so I guess they ordered too many 60 and too many 52, and not enough 56. Hence closeout.

But I think I could do a little this and a little that to the 52 and make it survivable for me.

Freewheel said...

Anon: If it's not a good fit, it's not a good bargain.

Anonymous said...

Freewheel (December 5, 2012 8:30 AM):

I think a longer seat post and straight bars with bar extensions on the 52 would work for me (only me?) geometrically on longish commutes on bad pavement, at an incremental cost of less than $100. To me that may still be a bargain. But, of course it's subjective. Thanks for bringing the bike to my attention!

Thrifty Technologist said...

Looks like the 60cm is gone :-(

samuel said...

Unfortunately they're all sold out now and I would surprised. I bought one a few months ago for $324.99. It was a great deal and it's performed great for me so far.

The frame actually looks identical to the Fuji Cambridge bike that you featured on the blog a few years ago, right down to the same lugs and everything.

Anonymous said...

I got mine for $325, had a coupon for $50 off that and free shipping. Three years ago it became my first electric assist and it's so good for that 750 watt BBS02 and a bike trailer. Who needs card?