Friday, April 16, 2010

Novara Transfer from REI


The Transfer is a bike that could easily replace your car for getting to work every day. 

It comes fully loaded and ready for all-weather riding. The dynohub powers the headlight that turns on automatically in the dark (as does the battery taillight). The steel frame has color-matched fenders and sturdy rack. The platform pedals and chain guard allow you to ride it in street clothes as well. The wheels are 26" and come with flat-resistant reflective tires. Even the drivetrain is commute-friendly... a 7-speed IGH.
With the this feature list I would expect a price around $1000, not the $650 that you'll find on it's price tag at REI. This weekend REI members get $130 off, so keep your eye open for 20% off sales throughout the year.

**Correction, tires are Vittoria Randonneur Cross 700x35, so 700c wheels not 26"
Specs (from REI):

Specification

Description

FrameChromoly
ForkChromoly pinpoint
CranksetRPM City single 42t
Bottom bracketShimano Square Taper
ShiftersShimano Nexus 7-speed
Rear cogsShimano 21t
Number of gears7
BrakesTektro linear-pull
Brake leversTektro
RimsWeinmann XTB-26
Front hubJoytech Dynamo
Rear hubShimano Inter-7 Internal
TiresVittoria Randonneur Cross 700x40c
HandlebarKalloy Cozy Comfort
StemAluminum quill
Seat postAluminum microadjustable
SaddleVelo Transfer
PedalsAlloy Platform
HeadsetThreaded
ChainKMC HG40

8 comments:

Shane MacRhodes said...

Actually, I think the tires are 700c.
We've been going back and forth between this bike and the Trek Belleville (with an 8 speed upgrade).
We'll probably end up going with this one because it would be SO much cheaper with the discount and our dividend.
Will lack the drop frame, front rack, and maybe a more upright position of the Belleville though but for the price the Transfer looks great. She rode the Randonee (sp) for over 11,000 miles and has loved it but wants a 'town bike' with more upright position, dyno, and chain guard... now we just need a skirt guard.

Bill said...

This bike has to be one of the all time bargins for someone looking for a true commuting bicycle. In my mind it only needs a couple of things to be perfect.

1. A kick stand.
2. A more complete chain guard/chain case.
3. Drum or disk brakes.

The latter choice is a personal choice, but it would make it a better bicycle for wet weather.

XXX said...

Bill, I agree. With the 20% off member coupon, I was itching to buy one, but the small seemed a little too big for my wife.

Sean said...

The discount made this bike more of a bargain than I could resist. I am pleased with the purchase. REI did and good job designing this bike. It rides well, has a number of extras that you do not see at this price point and has a nice aesthetic. With that said, I did change out a few items;

Handlebars – Nitto Albatross to give me a more upright position

Saddle – Brooks B67 for more comfort given my new upright position.

Headlight – The stock Basta light was difficult to see by. I swapped it out for a DLumotec Oval N Plus. The swap was easy and the light works well with the dynamo.

Next up is a more complete chain guard and it will be all smiles as I roll down the road.

Liz said...

I just got mine! (I had actually ordered it a couple days before Bikes for the Rest of Us posted this entry!) Really very nice, but the real sense I get: sturdy. This thing will last forever. I figure it must be like a Long Haul Trucker with horizontal dropouts, an internal gear hub, and an upright handlebar. Oh, and it is seriously heavy. Not that I need a lightweight bicycle, but, wow, it's heavy.

Oh, I was a bit worried about the sizing -- the chart said the small was 18" center to center, which would technically be just a smidge too big for me. In fact, it's 16" center to center -- perfect!

(Oh, it's got the most unusual little bell embedded in the left brake lever. Super cute (once you spot it there), but not particularly audible.)

scott said...

I have had mine for a month now and love it. I was really happy to find something in steel with all the fixins at this price point. I find the light adequate and its a comfortable ride. I may join Sean with the B67 and Albatross (stock handle and seat likely helped keep the price down). Mine came with a kickstand.

Lisa said...

I've had mine for a month now and LOVE it. It is so much fun to ride. In 2011, they have the albatross handle bars, kickstand, dropped top tube frame, and chain guard. I hope to get a Brooks saddle soon. I searched for a long time and could not find a better bike anywhere near this price range.

Johnnie said...

If you love this bike check out the KHS Greeb 8, while lacking a dynamo hub it does come with a Nexus 8 speed hub, full chain guard, North Road (albatross) bars, and mine came with a kickstand. Perhaps a review of this fine bike as well?