Friday, January 1, 2010

Torker Graduate


The Graduate is low-key commuting bike that comes fully dressed with internal hub gears, drum brakes and fenders. The frame is steel and the ride is fairly upright as it should be on a commuting bike.

The internal hub gears (SA 5-speed) with drum brakes really stand out because they work well in wet weather and require almost no maintenance. You just don't see that combination with typical mass-market commuter bike. Drums require even less maintenance than disk brakes and don't call attention to themselves when the bike is locked up and lonely.

The best part about the Graduate is that it retails for less than $500 and can be ordered from almost any LBS via Seattle Bike Supply. You can read more about the Graduate here and here.

Specs:

FrameTorker Tri Moly 130mm Rear Spacing
ForkHi-Ten 28.6mm
HeadsetSteel 28.6mm Threadless
Frt DerN/A
Rear DerN/A
ShifterSturmey Archer 5sp Twist Grip
CrankAlloy 42T W Guard
BB SetSealed Cartridge Square Taper
Cog16T
PedalNylon W Alloy Cage
RimAlex X 2100 Double Wall 36H
HubsSturmey Archer Alloy 5sp Internal
Spoke14 Gauge Stainless
TireTioga Gritty Slicker 700 x 32
BarAlloy All Rounder
StemForged Alloy
SaddleTorker
Seat PostSteel 27.2mm x 250mm
BrakeAlloy 70mm Internal Drum F & R
Brake LeverAvid Speed Dial
FendersPlastic Full Coverage


6 comments:

Danielle Brunin said...

I don't know how this bike will be but, I have an '09 Torker U-district and it is fantastic. I would imagine the Graduate to be a good bike as well.

If this had came out in '09 I would have bought it.

Ted said...

Great bike for the price. A little strange that is has fenders but no chainguard.

Unknown said...

I own one and can confirm that it does come with a chainguard. It's cheap and plasticy, though, and I'm sure the bike photographs better without it.

Anonymous said...

Just bought this bike for 20 mile daily commute, and it is a JOY to ride. Love it! Definitely spring for a better saddle, though. I put a Brooks on mine...

JDL said...

I have had my '10 for a month and 66 miles now. No chain guard but the chain ring cover has been adequate to keep my levis clean. Had to get a kickstand also.

It is fun to ride to work, and I have added a rack with wald folders, set very far back on the rack because of the short chainstays. It is a bit heavy in the back with the IGH, but I will take that everyday over the maintenance of brakes and derailleurs.

And I think the black on gray colors in 2010 were very elegant for a older gentleman's commuter.

I use mine 6 miles a day in rain and sun, with weekly grocery runs on the way home, and this is the perfect bike for me.

Unknown said...

just ran across this looking for something else, still riding the torker graduate every day, must have about 7,000 miles on it by now.