Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Surly Cross-Check


The Surly Cross-Check is probably one of the most popular all-rounders, so it's about time we mentioned it here. At City Bikes, you can purchase the complete bike for $1,050 or the frameset for $410.

The frame is steel, and it has eyelets for fenders and braze-ons for a rear rack. The fork allows plenty of room for wider tires.

Here's the specs for the complete bike:

Frame: 4130 CroMoly steel. Main triangle double-butted. TIG-welded. Rear rack bosses

Fork: CroMoly, lugged + brazed crown. 1-1/8" threadless steerer

Headset: Ritchey Logic Comp. 1-1/8" threadless, w/ 15mm spacers
(+ 10mm clamp-on hanger = 25mm stack total). Black

Stem: Kalloy 1-1/8" threadless. Forged. Black

Handlebars: Salsa Moto Ace Bell-Lap 26.0mm clamp diameter. Black

Brake Levers: Tektro #R200A standard levers on 52-62cm sizes, R100A small hand levers on 42-50cm

Brakes: Tektro Oryx cantilever #992, black

Shift Levers: Shimano Bar-end type #SL-BS77. 9-Speed

Front Derailleur: Shimano Tiagra #FD-4500 Double

Rear Derailleur: Shimano Tiagra #RD-4500-GS Mid-cage

Crankset: Andel Forged arms, Silver aluminum, granny ring compatible. 110mm BCD rings, 36 & 48t, ramped and pinned, Black

Pedals NOT INCLUDED

Bottom Bracket: Shimano Deore LX #BB-UN54, 68x113mm

Seatpost: Kalloy Uno 27.2mm x 250mm. Black

Saddle: WTB SST Steel rails. Black

Cassette: Shimano Tiagra #HG-53 9-speed 12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-25t

Chain: Shimano HG-73 9-Speed compatible

Hubs: Shimano Deore #HU-M510. 32 hole, 100mm O.L.D. front, 135mm O.L.D. rear.

Rims: Alex #AL-DA16. 32 hole x 700c. Black

Tires: Ritchey SpeedMax Cross 700x32 Wire bead. Black wall

For fun, check out the Surly blog.

6 comments:

Michael Green said...

I'd love to get added to your blog roll.

www.bikeblognyc.com

I've been writing about Urban Bicycle Culture for over 5 years. Perhaps a bit longer than half of the blogs you have listed.

I really like the information on your blog.

Check me out and let me know what you think.

mgreen@bikeblognyc.com

Anonymous said...

Any one equip this frame for an upright commuter with Shimano 8? How much did it cost?

Freewheel said...

Michael G. - Thanks for stopping by. I added a link to your blog & will check it out.

Anon - I hope you find an answer to your question. My personal recommendation is to check out the Fuji Cambridge, which I recently did a post on. I really like its looks and specs.

Rain Clair said...

There's probably a way to email you directly, but I don't know anything about blogs. I'm writing because I'm in the research phase of purchasing my first bike in 10 years. It's for a 5 mile work commute and for righting around town and by the beach. I've narrowed it down to 3 comfort style bikes...Electra Townie 7d, KHS Smoothie and Diamondback Serene Deluxe. Could you please give me your insight on my choices and what you think of them? I'm a girl, but I figure you seem pretty into the comfort bike scene in general. Thank you so very much for your time.

Rain
rainydaylove at gmail.com

Craig said...

Freewheel-- I am very interested in the Cambridge. Also considering the Globe Live 2 (when it comes out-- but am ambivalent given that it is an unknown quantity) or the new Raleigh Superbe 2009. Thoughts?

Amy said...

Ah, the CrossCheck. Very popular, so much so that I found one to ride when I was looking for a new bike. Didn't like it! But I think I just prefer an Al bike. Went w/ a Bianchi cross bike instead and it's great.

It's amazing how many bikes are out there. You HAVE to test ride to know for sure if it's right for you!