Wednesday, November 19, 2008

kg271, by Madsen Cycles

These won't appeal to everyone, but they're pretty neat:

Bike - Black Bucket
Bike - Black Rack

Here's a new longtail on the scene, and it's got a funny name. The manufacturer, Madsen Cycles, calls it "kg271." I assume that's a reference to its cargo cpacity--but that's a sizable load (almost 600 pounds)--so don't go trying it 'cause I said so, because I did not say so.

  • Hi-tensile steel frame.
  • 8-speed Sram X5 drive parts.
  • One size, they say, fits 5'-0" to 6'-6". This troubles me a bit, but I'm only looking at a picture. If you give it a try, let me know how it goes.
  • The "bucket" version has a bench seat with two seatbelts, and bet it's more fun than a barrel of monkeys with two little ones in there. It holds 40 gallons. Of what? I guess they leave that up to you.
  • The rack on the rack-clad version looks pretty stout, and the six equally-spaced horizontal elements suggest a great deal of flexibility. Madsen's website suggests forthcoming accessories to carry a couple of bike on roof-rack style trays; or a couple of passengers; but what excites me most is the potential for a Grill Bike. Imagine slow cooking some short ribs on your way down to the mall on July 4th: "No, no more Powerbars for me. Thanks though."

Bucket Style: $1300. Rack Style: $1100.
Either way, add $100 for shipping to the LBS/IBD of your choice.
Madsen will cover the cost of assembly and tuning--a nice touch.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey -
We're liking this bike a lot, and it does work for 5'1" to 6' riders so far ... full review here:
http://www.totcycle.com/blog/madsen-cycles-kg271-bike-review.html

SingletrackM1nd said...

A good friend of mine has one. It hauls as well (better, in some cases), as my Xtracycle. BUT for safely hauling serious weight, the brakes are severely lacking. I understand that they are trying to appeal to a certain price point. But a bike built to haul a couple hundred pounds of rider plus the mass of whatever you're hauling needs a stouter fork and much much much better brakes, 400 pounds is a lot of momentum at 15 mph.

Just my opinion.

Anita Ann said...

My son who is just under 4.5' rides this bike well as so my husband and I both. I am 5'2" and husband is 6'. I have pulled just over 100 lbs of kids in it and it can be wobbley if they try to horse around, otherwise it's ok. Mind you I am not very fit and can do that.