Monday, May 19, 2008

The KHS Green


The tag line for this bike is, "With the Green it's not about speed, it's about a lifestyle." Sounds good to me. In fact, this bike resembles the basic Dutch bike in several ways: a) it's mostly black, b) it's built for comfort w/ nice high bars, c) it comes with several practical accessories, and d) it appears to have steel crankarms. I'd like to see a dynamo-powered light set, and a little more sweep in the handlebars, but for $300 it looks like a terrific off-the-shelf city bike.

KHS: Green
MSRP: $299(?)

Frame Hi-Ten Classic or Step-thru
Fork Hi-Ten
Headset 1" Treaded
Rims Weinmann ZAC21 silver anodized alloy 700 x 38c
Hubs Shimano 3 speed Nexus Coaster Brake Rear
Tires Staad 700 x 38c
Spokes 14G UCP, 36°
Shifters Shimano 3 speed Nexus Revo Twist
Chain 1/2" x 1/8"
Crankset 3-piece with complete chainguard
Bottom Bracket 3-piece
Cog Shimano
Pedals VP alloy w/steel cage w/boron axle
Seatpost Steel
Saddle Dual Density with Elastomer Springs
Handlebar 4" rise
Stem Alloy w/Tall Quill
Grips Kraton
Brakes Coaster Rear, Hand Brake Front
Color Black
Frame Size 17", 21" Men's and 14", 17" Ladies
Extras Fenders, Alloy Rear Carrier, Kick Stand, Bell and Rear Wheel Lock

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rode the ladies Green this weekend. I like everything except the coaster brake. It drove me nuts with all the stops and starts in downtown.

jlpicard2 said...

I bought a KHS Green last year. I had to order it without trying it out first as it was a special order. I find the highest gear isn't high enough when I want to go fast. The lowest gear is fine for pedaling through the lawn, or I imagine a hill, but I do miss a higher gear for fast speed.

Art Simon said...

I just saw the 2009 KHS Green 3 speed today. It's a really good looking bike. The handlebars on the new model are more swept back, and it looks even more like a Dutch bike. The bike shop on San Pablo in Berkeley CA was asking $399 (can't remember the name, but it's a new shop with a hip, feminist style). If I didn't already have two standard bikes, I'd jump on it.

Art Simon said...

The Berkeley shop is "Wheelgirl" at 1400 San Pablo. I haven't done any business with them, but it seems very cool.

Coyote said...

I bought a KHS green for my son's 16th birthday (he had zero interest in driving). He has almost two years on it and many miles. Everything still works on it just fine. We both agree that the top gear is too low. On a 3-speed the middle gear should be your everyday gear (68-72 inches) and top gear should be the "oh crap I'm late for class" gear.

I paid about $350 for the Green and it was well worth the money. With addition of lights, the Green is an out of the box commuter that is comfortable and completely serviceable.

Anonymous said...

I've had the Green now for a year, and I like it. No problems so far. I did replace the saddle, but that's a personal preference and the tires for some more flat-proof ones.