Saturday, March 6, 2010

Raleigh Clubman

Raleigh has brought back one of its greatest hits, one of the classic Raleighs from the '40s and '50s, the Raleigh Clubman. It retails for $1130, but here's a tip... you can get the 2009 model on sale at REI right now for $930.

Most reviewers are quick to point out that this is not a touring bike. I'm not sure why... it's all steel and you could load it up and take off across country if you wanted to. In any event, it makes a nice all-purpose around-towner.

Specs:

Frame: Reynolds 520 Butted Chromo Tubing.
Fork: Lugged 4130 Chromo Road.
Headset: Integrated 1-1/8 threadless.
Crankset: Shimano Tiagra 2pc 34/50t.
Front Derailleur: Shimano Tiagra.
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Tiagra.
Shifters: Shimano Tiagra 9spd STI.
Cassette: SRAM PG950 9spd (12-26t).
Brakes: Tektro Dual Pivot Long Reach w/Cartridge Pads.
Color: Brown.
Sizes: 50cm,53cm,55cm,57cm,59cm,62cm.

8 comments:

2whls3spds said...

It is a Clubman in name only...

Unfortunately Raleigh is recycling names in hopes they will sell due for nostalgic reasons. I have seen the bike and it is a far cry from the original Clubman.

Aaron

Bob said...

This is a great blog. The links to each brand of bike makes the blog a really great resource for bike buying.

I ride a road bike most of the time, but my love of the basic beauty of the bicycle makes the simple bikes shown here really attractive and enjoyable.

I will be back.

abmatic said...

In theory you can buy it from REI, but only from REIs who are Raleigh dealers--they won't ship. Last time I looked only a few REIs in the country were dealers for Raleigh.

Mighk said...

It's not a touring bike for a couple of visible reasons. No triple crank and short chainstays. Touring bikes also have beefier top tubes, which would of course not be visible.

Freewheel said...

Mighk, I respectfully disagree. You don't need a triple for touring unless you're headed for the mountains and are actually going to use that granny chainring. And more important than the top tube is the front fork. Plus, you'll notice that this bike has fenders (a good idea for touring) PLUS eyelets for front and rear racks. So I think at the least it qualifies as a light tourer.

Anonymous said...

I own one of these, and use it as a commuter. It is way faster (but not much lighter) than my previous tourer. I really like it. I think it would make a fine, light tourer, you would just have to walk up some of the steeper hills, which might be a good thing.
The first thing a lot of people say when the see a steel bike is 'how would be as a tourer', but I bet most touring bikes are used most often for non-touring.
This bike is more of an 'all-rounder', and if you only have one bike, and you must carry things on it, then this is a fine compromise between speed and strength.

Arleigh said...

I've been using my Clubman for commuting, and slowly hoping to do a randonee and a couple overnight tours. The bike is stable and has a great ride. I love that it has sliding drops, long term I may turn it in to a single speed.

Anonymous said...

Eles sabem que Empreendedorismo Do dedo é provável.