Thursday, March 4, 2010

Raleigh Classic Roadster



Yet another earth-toned steel-framed bike from Raleigh. This one has a three speed internally-geared hub with painted fenders and chainguard. The price point is around $500 and you get classic good looks and a comfortable ride. You'll have to add a basket or rack if you want to carry groceries.

If the three-speed doesn't do it for you then spend $400 more for the Superbe Roadster and you'll get an Shimano Alfine 8-speed hub and a front disk brake. You get extra points if you pronounce it "Sue-PER-bee."

Classic Roadster Step-Through:

Classic Roadster Specs:

6 comments:

Step-Through said...

I'm loving the return of roadsters and city bikes! Such an improvement on the dorky hybrids of recent years. And more functional than dutch-style bicycles for those of us who live in hilly, sprawling cities. Love your blog.

E. B. Bauman said...

Any idea where I can pick up a women's 45 for my wife before next friday? I'd really like to grab a 2009 if someone knows where.

Tom said...

@E.B. - Go to http://www.raleighusa.com/ and click on "find dealer" on the bottom of the page. Then start calling people. Good luck!

Ed/Merced California said...

I just took my new Raleigh Roadster on a 10 mile ride and it really rolls. It Shifts flawlessly, is much lighter that I expected and is quite comfortable. There isn't a rattle on the bike and it's just fun to ride. The brakes & steering are very crisp. The gear ratios are very evenly spaced. It's also a really beautiful bike.

B+ said...

I've owned mine since last spring, and am very happy with it (I did have some bad spokes that required the rear wheel to be rebuilt). This is well-engineered bike that recalls many of the qualities of the old Sports 3-speeds (I rode mine for over 30 years), but with great breaks, modern accessories, and an even more upright riding position. I've blogged about it and have helped others find out about this renewal of Raleigh's classic utility bike vision.

B+ said...

ooops... great "brakes." Sorry!